Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I take my new FrogPad for a test drive.

Well, I finished posting all of the old MySpace blog stories... and now here comes my first real blog post ever. Bleh...

So I just received my new and functioning FrogPad today. What's a FrogPad, you ask? Why, it's a small, one-handed keyboard, of course! I'm using it to type this, in fact... and it's taking a lot longer than usual. It doesn't use the qwerty layout that we're all used to, so I do a lot of hunting and pecking now... plus many of the keys require chording, which doesn't seem to be too bad, but it takes some getting used to. I'm just not used to having to look at the keyboard, and it can be frustrating typing so slowly; when I'm not coding, I can usually type over 100 words per minute (it took me a full minute to find the semi-colon key -- I almost gave up and used lesser punctuation instead).




In case you haven't figured it out yet, I've been typing this mainly to get practice with the keyboard, and it's actually been very helpful. I'm already getting a pretty good handle on where the keys are, although I still have to look at the keyboard a lot. But I'm pretty happy with how quickly it's coming along. :)

Anyway, you may have noticed that I mentioned that this FrogPad is functioning. See, i previously received a FrogPad that had a minor malfunction... the Bluetooth pairing button didn't work. Try as I might, I couldn't get the pad to enter discoverable mode. Eventually, I tried too hard, and I accidentally snapped the Bluetooth pairing button off of the internal circuit board. Fortunately, they were very nice about it and replaced the pad for free. Of course, I had to mail it back to them. As my broken keyboard headed back to its makers, and as I watched the tracking info update online, I eventually noticed that it had been "left by doorstep". That made me a bit uneasy, since FedEx doesn't normally leave packages sitting in front of businesses. So I looked up their address on Google Maps:



Not only does that look like a residential area, it also looks like the address is a house that has been flattened! I worried that I had sent this (overly) expensive keyboard to sit in front of some crackhouse, to be misused and unappreciated, and perhaps even introduced to a life of drugs and crime -- which I understand is highly competitive.

And so I lay awake at night, fretting over my poor, lost keyboard. When I managed to sleep, it was filled with nightmarish images of atrocities all committed by a slightly damaged, one-handed keyboard. But then, at long last, the FrogPad arrived this afternoon while I was at work! With much joy, I was able to successfully pair it with my PC at work, and later with my Mac when I got home. And so here I am, several hours later, typing a long and boring report about it... and it's taking FOREVER!!! Hopefully I'll start making some serious progress with my typing speed soon...

Today's typing speed (based on TypingTest.com):
Frogpad: 15 WPM
Standard keyboard: 99 WPM

5 comments:

Grahamn Kracker said...

Here is what I think happened to the original Frogpod, the one you sent back. It exploded and took down the whole building the doorstep of which it had been left upon.

I am glad there was at least one survivor, though - I just hope that the new unit that this survivor sent to you is not an exploding unit.

Now, as I set here, watching every stroke that I make on my regular keyboard with, because that hand still does not know its way around half the keyboard and so I must watch the whole keyboard, you have given me more to ponder about concerning the one-handed keyboard.

I just don't want to lose my house, that's all.

Grahamn Kracker said...

er... FrogPad, not Frogpod...

too many drugs.

springfang said...

I like the exploding FrogPad theory... well, except for the part where the one I'm using right now could also be volatile and kill me at any time. Yeah, that part I don't care for...

Grahamn Kracker said...

So, what do you think now that you have had it a little longer? Considering that I will likely not have use of my right hand for another 2-3 months, will the investment of time required to become efficient on Frogpod pay off?

How fast can you type with it now?

Do you still have to watch the keyboard?

(I do)

Unknown said...

Hahaha....ah, that house photo cracks me up. Glad your FrogPad made it to you. Still don't understand the point of it if you have the use of both hands. Think it sounds like a good idea if you don't.