Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Et le monde les regarde sans parler...

The world is not ready. Chances are, it never will be. Even when this land is covered in ash, the ground scorched and blackened, and the sky filled with the tattered remnants of unknown works; even then They will demand more time. But this time is not Theirs to request, and surely it is not mine to give. They have had their chance, and They have squandered it.

I did not come here to punish Them -- that was never my intention. Indeed, I still do not see it as punishment, though I know They do not understand. To Them, I am the one who will ruin everything, and They believe that I do so because They are "unworthy" or "lazy". But this is not retribution. This was always going to happen, no matter what They did. They perceive things as They are able, and I feel no need to correct Them. Let Them comfort themselves in whatever ways They can.

The one request made of Them was that They prepare themselves for this moment. They were told what They must do, and They were told what would happen. Most if not all of Them made efforts at first, but as time wore on each One lost sight of His own purpose, and without purpose motivation dies. Thus we find ourselves at this point: Them unprepared and frightened, and me with my job to do. I can't help but feel sorry for Them, but soon enough it will all be over.

And so I begin my work, with these thoughts troubling my soul. This is the way it is -- nothing can change that -- but I am not an unfeeling being. I suppose that is why I was chosen. To do what must be done without feeling would be to dishonor Them. And They are worthy of honor, let no one doubt it. Great deeds have been done by Them, great works created. They should not be scorned or hated, despite Their failures. So I honor Them even as I take away that which They value most. I have hope that perhaps this time, finally, They will learn...

No comments: